Connect with us

Illinois

Illini part ways with guard Aaron Cosby

The writing seemed to be on the wall as of late. Both Aaron Cosby and RayVonte Rice were suspended earlier in February, but Rice has already returned to the team. On Friday the Illini announced that they had parted ways with Cosby, who was in his redshirt junior season.

“After having further discussions with Aaron and evaluating the situation from both sides, he and I have mutually agreed that it is best to part ways,” Groce said. “I enjoyed coaching Aaron and appreciate the contributions he made during his time here. I wish him success and will be rooting for him to have a great finish to his career.”

Cosby played in the first 19 games of the season, starting 13 times. He ranked fourth on the Illini in scoring with an average of 7.8 points. He scored in double figures in six games, led by a season-high 19 points in a victory at Northwestern on Jan. 14.

“I have a great relationship with my coaches and teammates here at Illinois, but feel it’s in my best interest to seek out a new opportunity,” Cosby said. “I’m thankful for everyone in the program for their support and look forward to the next chapter in my basketball career.”

According to the university’s release, Cosby will remain in classes and graduate in the spring. He’ll be eligible to transfer as a graduate student at that point, however no destination for his transfer was immediately made known.

Andy Coppens is the Founder and Publisher of Talking10. He's a member of the Football Writers Association of America (FWAA) and has been covering college sports in some capacity since 2008. You can follow him on Twitter @AndyOnFootball

Comments
Advertisement

talking10 Podcast

More in Illinois